Poggibonsi apartment

Check more Info, Prices and Availability for Poggibonsi apartment.

Brief historical outline (snippets of information taken from the book “POGGIBONSI” by Costantino Antichi, published in Poggibonsi on the 15th August 1965)

The origin of Poggibonsi, like that of other more famous towns, is lost in the obscurity of the most distant antiquity. At first, Poggibonsi was called Borgo Marturi (probably in honour of the god Mars). This name was kept until 1270, when the great Ghibelline castle of Poggiobonizzo, built roughly a century before, was destroyed by the Guelph armies, prompting its citizens to return definitively to their town of origin, changing its name to Poggibonsi in remembrance of their lost city. The legend, initially recounted by Villani, then by Malespini and repeated by the well-known Machiavelli, tells us that Borgo Marturi was formed by Catiline’s Roman soldiers, or at least those that survived the Battle of Piteccio (Pistoia) in 62 B.C. Between the two ancient settlements, the upper town of Poggiobonizzo and the lower town Borgo Marturi, which then became known as Poggibonsi, there has always been a tight interconnection of people and interests, due to their proximity and their strategic position over the whole of Valdelsa.

This very central location in Tuscany was the first cause of economic fortune, and gave its inhabitants a vibrancy of character and modern way of thinking, but it was also the cause of its repeated destruction from the Middle Ages up until the Second World War. This extremely busy and welcoming city was the birthplace of many distinguished people, the most noteworthy of whom are: Saint Lucesio Lucchese, the first Franciscan Tertiary personally ordained by Saint Francis; Fra Niccolò da Poggibonsi, who embarked from Venice to Palestine on the 7th August 1346, wrote the “Libro d’oltremare” (A voyage beyond the Seas) and, following in the footsteps of Saint Francis, went on a pilgrimage to Sinai, Egypt, Mount Tabor, Alexandria, Nazareth, Jericho, Tiberias, Damascus etc. It is also necessary to mention Frà Mauro da Poggibonsi, Sasso Cataneo, Giorgio Riesci, Giovanni de’ Ricci, Giovanni Battista da Poggibonsi, Simone da Poggibonsi, Tommaso Ciucci, Me¬nechino Buonanni, Giovanni Montorsoli, Giovanni Battista Muzzi, Benedetto da Poggibonsi, Antonio Frilli, Luigi Lombardini, Francesco Costantino Marmocchi, Attilio Ciaspini, Pietro Burresi, Alberto Manetti, Francesco Pratelli, Gaetano Pieraccini...

For temporary or short visits, where tranquility, silence and privacy are guaranteed, is the ground floor apartment of an ancient building in the historic centre of Poggibonsi. Located approximately one hundred metres from Piazza Cavour (Town Hall Square) and “Via Maestra”, the building was first owned by the Ginori family and then by the Vanni farm. The apartment, which has an independent entrance, is approximately fifty square metres and includes a spacious bedroom-living area with original ceramic fireplace, fully equipped kitchen, bathroom with shower, TV, Internet, and a reserved parking space in a private courtyard with view and access to a public park.
Furthermore, the nearby Osteria “da Camillo”, belonging to our friend Mauro, will always be delighted to serve you, allowing you to taste characteristic Tuscan dishes in a warm and friendly environment.

Monuments and works of art
1) The 12th century Church of San Lorenzo with the famous Wooden Crucifix by Giovanni D’Agostino.
2) Collegiate Church dedicated to Santa Maria Assunta with the 14th century Baptism Font.
3) Basilica of San Lucchese, an architectural jewel of the 14th century and Franciscan period, with works by Bartolo di Fredi, Iacopo della Quercia, Raffaellino Carli, Duccio Boninsegna, Gerino da Pistoia, Della Robbia.
4) “Magione” Chapel, 11th century pilgrim hospice.
5) The Sanctuary of Romituzzo, 12th century.
6) The “Fontana delle Fate” Fountain, by Balugano da Crema.
7) The Castle of Badia, founded on the 25/7/998 by the Marquis Ugo of Tuscany.
8) Fortress of Poggio Imperiale, commissioned for Lorenzo de’ Medici by Giuliano da Sangallo in 1482.
Church of San Pietro in Cedda, a jewel of Romanesque art.
Strozzavolpe Castle, a magnificent military building from the Middle Ages.
Staggia Senese, Rocca (Fortress) and Borgo (Village) of Casato de’ Franzesi from as early as 994.
Church of Sant’Andrea (or San Rocco) in Papaiano, dating from the 10th century.

Check more Info, Prices and Availability for Poggibonsi apartment.

▲ Top